Opening, Closing and Maintaining Pools
Action Swimming Pools is a premiere retailer for GLB Pool and Spa products
GLB Pool Care has provided the following information and tips to assist you with opening, closing and maintaining pools. If you have questions regarding opening, closing and maintaining pools, call the knowledgeable professionals at Action Swimming Pools & Spa at 303.431.8501.
GLB Pool & Spa Pool Care
As you care for your pool, it is important for your pool water to be “in balance.” Keeping water chemistry balanced will prevent the water from becoming corrosive or forming scale deposits, both of which can damage pool equipment. When opening, closing and maintaining pools, keep these precautions in mind:
- Always read label directions prior to using and use only as directed.
- Always add the chemical to a bucket of water and not water to the chemical when
mixing a product.
- Never add chemicals to the water when people are in the pool.
- Never add chemicals through the skimmer system, instead add them by pouring in front of a return line or by carefully walking around the pool to distribute.
- Never mix one chemical with another chemical prior to adding to the water.
- Store chemicals in a cool and dry location out of direct sunlight.
Opening Your Pool With GLB Products
Have a professional pool retailer test the water you will be using to fill your pool. Testing the water you are adding will allow you to identify what minerals and chemical factors may require attention later.
Check that your pool filter is clean. If it is not clean, use FILTER CLEANSE according to label directions. Soak filter overnight for best results.
Begin filling the pool. After the pool is filled with several inches of water, add SEQUA-SOL (16 oz./10,000 gals.) This sequestering agent will prevent minerals in the water from staining or damaging pool surfaces.
As the pool completes filling, add CLEAR BLUE clarifier (4 oz./10,000 gals.) to clear the water of small particles. Fill pool to the middle of skimmer or the proper level recommended by the manufacturer. Once filled, start the pump and filtration equipment. Run pool filter overnight or 24 hours if possible. While filter is running, this is a good time to vacuum and remove any debris from pool.
Add OXY-BRITE (1 lb./10,000 gallons) non-chlorine shock treatment to destroy any contaminants that have accumulated in the water.
Test the pH and total alkalinity levels of the pool water with GLB 4-WAY TEST STRIPS or testing kit. Add pH UP or pH DOWN to adjust pH level in ideal range of 7.2 - 7.8. Once the pH level is in ideal range, adjust the total alkalinity level to the ideal range of 80-120 ppm (parts per million) with ALKALINITY UP.
Now begin disinfecting the water by adding GLB CHLORINE or BROMINE SANITIZERS to adjust sanitizer level to ideal range of 1-3 ppm. Allow to circulate overnight.
Prevent rapid loss of chlorine due to sunlight by adding GLB STABILIZER (not applicable for bromine pools). Prevent algae from developing by adding Algimycin 600 (Initial dose 9oz/10,000 gallons).
Maintaining Your Pool With GLB Products
Get ready for the Weekend! ... Friday
Test the pH, total alkalinity, and sanitizer levels of the pool water with GLB 4-WAY TEST STRIPS or testing kit. If necessary, adjust levels with pH UP or pH DOWN, ALKALINTY UP and GLB CHLORINE or BROMINE SANITIZERS.
- Add Algimycin 600 (3 oz./10,000 gals.) to prevent algae formation.
- Add SEQUA-SOL (4 oz./10,000 gals.) to prevent stains and scale.
- Add NATURAL CLEAR (8 oz./10,000 gals.) to prevent oily scum line.
- Add CLEAR BLUE (2 oz./10,000 gals.) to add sparkle to water and remove particles that dull the water.
Party Clean Up ... Sunday
Vacuum pool and clean out skimmer basket. Wipe off water line and pool accessories with soft towel. Occasionally, use TLC cleaner for heavy buildup. Add OXY-BRITE (1 lb./10,000 gals.) to rid water of contaminants. Check filter operation. Refer to filter manufacturer’s direction regarding when to backwash or clean filter. Use FILTER RINSE each time sand filter is backwashed.
Take 5 ... During the Week
Test the pH, total alkalinity, and sanitizer levels of the pool water with GLB 4-WAY TEST STRIPS. If necessary, adjust levels with pH UP or pH DOWN, ALKALINTY UP and GLB CHLORINE or BROMINE SANITIZERS.
Closing Your Pool With GLB Products
- Brush pool walls and floor. Vacuum any debris from pool bottom.
- Clean the filter with filter cleanse.
- Lower the water if in area where water must be lowered due to freezing conditions.
Drain all water from pipes, pumps, heaters, filters and other pool equipment to prevent
damage due to freezing. If in mild climate where the pool is left full and uncovered, confirm
with manufacturer’s directions if the filtration system should continue to operate.
Treat the Water
- Add OXY-BRITE shock treatment (1 lb./10,000 gals.) to destroy organic contaminants.
- Add ALGIMYCIN 2000 algaecide (8 oz./10,000 gals.) to prevent algae growth.
- Add SEQUA-SOL sequestering agent (8 oz./10,000 gals.) to protect pool from staining and scale formation.
If in mild climate where the pool is left full and uncovered with the filtration system still operating, regularly add GLB SANITIZER, ALGIMYCIN 2000, and SEQUA-SOL.
Schedule Pool & Spa Services
Call Action Swimming Pool & Spa for more information about opening, closing and maintaining pools, spas and hot tubs. To schedule a service call at (303) 431-8501 or fill out our schedule a service request online. Our knowledgable staff will gladly assist you with any questions you may have about opening, closing and maintaining Ppols.
We'd love helping you keep your water sparkling and clean - and we want you to enjoy your swimming pool, spa, or hot tub to the fullest. Sign up for our monthly newsletter for updates, specials and more!
Please note: Our swimming pool and spa store is located in Lakewood, Colorado, at 2660 Youngfield Street. We're pleased to service repair, and maintain swimming pools, spa and hot tubs all across the Denver metro area, including: Arvada, Lakewood, Littleton, Denver, Westminster, Wheat Ridge, Centennial, Cherry Creek, Cherry Hills, Englewood, and Golden, Colorado.